Friday, July 22, 2011

First Things First! Happy Birthday Greg!


We've just come back from vacation and I’m determined today to post some pictures of our trip to upstate New York but before I do that I have to acknowledge what we were doing 31 years ago tomorrow.

Greg is our ‘baby’ although that only applies to his birth order and certainly not his current rank in life. He’s probably one of the kindest people that we know and has found a career that truly utilizes every ounce of the goodness and kindness that he has…Greg is a caregiver to special needs individuals and has made enormous progress with “Bobby”, an autistic 15 year-old boy that has been one of his charges for the past few years. With Greg’s help Bobby now can dress himself, use a bathroom, can speak and, in general, can interact on some level with others around him. These are tremendous strides for a boy that was locked in his own world for so many years!

I will always remember the phone call from a woman who had a lengthy wait in the YMCA sign-up line for her kid’s soccer team who said “You don’t know me but I want you to know what a wonderful son you have. Your son Greg (who was then about 12 years old) took our kids and played games with them in the field to keep them busy while we stood in line. I asked him for his name and his phone number so that I could call you and tell you what a wonderfully kind son that you have.”

We knew that then, and we know that now.

“There has never been a day when I have not been proud of you, I said to my son. Though some days I’m louder about other stuff so it’s easy to miss that”. Brian Andreas, StoryPeople

Happy Birthday Greg!


(Above: Greg a) With Bobby; b) With Godson & Nephew, Aiden; c) At 5 Years Old; and d) at 18 months)





































5 comments:

Jeff, Vicky and Kira said...

happy early birthday gerg! We love you!!

Danielle said...

OMG. Greg by far was the cutest of all the Sarine children. And is it just me, or does Vivi resemble him a bit?! Happy Birthday Gerg!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to Greg! This post is very sweet!

Chris, Marcy, and Paisley said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I totally saw a bit of vivi in there too Danielle!

Dick and Sherry said...

Me too! But hopefully Vivi will keep her feminine look!